My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I moved to NYC to become a famous actress, and now I'm working the library. Life's funny that way. I like to bake, and I often stick my foot in my mouth, but I try not to do it at the same time.

Monday, December 12, 2005

A holiday recipe


Chocolate Caramels
From the Anne of Green Gables Cookbook

1 cup unsalted butter
3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
1¼ cups sweetened condensed milk
4 tablespoons corn syrup
2¼ cups (firmly packed) brown sugar
Patience

– Grease the inside of an 8x8 inch pan
– Put the butter, chocolate, sweetened condensed milk, corn syrup, and brown sugar into the large heavy saucepan. Mix with a wooden spoon.
– Place the saucepan over medium heat and let the mixture come to a boil. Let the chocolate melt completely.
– Turn the heat down to medium low and cook the mixture for 30 minutes. It should boil gently during this time. With the wooden spoon, stir the mixture constantly the whole time. It’s important to stir constantly because candy burns easily.
– When it’s cooked, the candy will be very thick. Pour it into the square baking pan and set it on the cooking rack.
– Let the candy cool completely (about 1½ hours) then cut into ¾ inch squares.


“I had one chocolate caramel once two years ago and it was simply delicious. I’ve often dreamed since then that I had a lot of chocolate caramels, but I always wake up just when I’m going to eat them.”
-Anne of Green Gables, III.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home