My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I moved to NYC to become a famous actress, and now I'm working the library. Life's funny that way. I like to bake, and I often stick my foot in my mouth, but I try not to do it at the same time.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

A Christmas complaint

I love Christmas, and I love Christmas music. In fact, I've been listening to a radio station that plays nothing but Christmas music since the week before Thanksgiving. They pretty much play the same songs everyday (sometimes twice a day, and what's up with that? I know there's more Christmas music available), but that's not what I'm writing to complain about (at least not this time). No, feel the need to publish a great frustration that I feel every year at this time towards one Christmas song in particular. It's an overplayed, annoying Christmas song, but that's not my complaint either. Are you ready? The song is Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer and my problem is the intro:

You know Dasher and Dancer, and Prancer and Vixen,Comet and Cupid, and
Donner and Blitzen, But do you recall, the most famous reindeer of all?


I can't stand it!! If Rudolph is "the most famous reindeer of all," how could he possibly be the one we would forget? Isn't it far more likely that we would "not recall" Donner, or Comet? If a song doesn't make sense, I think it should be banned from radio play. That would mean no more Backstreet Boys (or is it N'SYNC) song about how he can do what he wants, but she can't (okay, I know that's vague but I'm talking about a specific song, and if you know what it is, put in the comments), no more Christina Aguilara's What a Girl Wants saying "whatever makes me happy sets you free" (how does that work?), and most importantly, no more Rudolph!! Or at the very least, cut the intro, please!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger voyageuse said...

I also have a complaint against "Rudolph".I know I've grown more cynical with my age because I loved this song (and movie) when I was little.But now, as this song plays several times a day while I'm at work, all I can think about is all of the other reindeer who are the "cool" reindeer, they make Rudolph feel like garbage.I'm sure many of us can identify with this as we have been the losers at school at one time or another.But as soon as Santa singles Rudolph out to be his special helper one foggy Christmas Eve, all of the reindeer suddenly love him?! Not only is this an unbelievably quick change of heart, but I'm pretty sure there would be plenty of jealousy tucked into those other reindeer hearts.I do not believe that after the foggy Christmas is over the reindeer wouldn't go back to their cruel ways, augmented by jealousy. If the song continued, it wouldn't be so cheery.

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My problem (beyond disliking non-religious Christmas stuff) is the "You know...". Do I really know the other reindeer? If so, how? Before Rudolph became the Reindeer Idol winner, were the others featured in a different, now forgotten, song or book?

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home