My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I moved to NYC to become a famous actress, and now I'm working the library. Life's funny that way. I like to bake, and I often stick my foot in my mouth, but I try not to do it at the same time.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Theatre Review: Two Yeats Plays

Last week I went to see the Handcart Ensemble's latest production. I'll admit, I didn't have the best attitude going in. I knew Javen had a lot of say on the play choice, and while I trust him implicitly in regards to poetry, we usually disagree on prose. This was the case as to this play. Don't get me wrong, there was a lot to enjoy in these plays, I just can't honestly say I enjoyed everything. I was not an overly educated audience member; all I really know about William Butler Yeats is that he's an Irish poet. Maybe I wasn't properly equipped to appreciate these two shows, but I have to say, I found myself bored several times. Ironically, Scott, artistic director of The Handcart Ensemble, recently wrote on their website (click on post title to check it out yourself), that Yeats wrote his plays specifically to be malleable enough to fit to your audience and purpose. And yet, I almost feel they went out of their way to alienate the audience. They first piece started with a chorus entering one by one, sitting on the floor, and droning for a time. I can take about 1 minute of such behavior, and then I'm really ready to move on. I'd guess their droning went on for 2-3 minutes (an eternity when you're just sitting there staring at these people), and when two more actors finally come onstage and I thought I'd get some relief, we watched them walk in a square around the stage three or four times (and it wasn't fast walking). I know I'm awfully low-brow, but I just don't enjoy this kind of thing. Once they were into dialogue, it was fine. Enjoyable, in fact. But the beginning put a pretty big damper on it for me. The second piece was more of the same; some good stuff (I really liked the music) mixed in with things that just seemed boring and strange for the purpose of being boring and strange.
And on that rave review, I encourage you all to buy your tickets today! Seriously, it is interesting, even if not my favoritest thing ever, so go judge for yourself and support Mormons in the arts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home