My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I moved to NYC to become a famous actress, and now I'm working the library. Life's funny that way. I like to bake, and I often stick my foot in my mouth, but I try not to do it at the same time.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Theatre Review: Threepenny Opera

*THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS*
I read The Threepenny Opera in school years ago, and have never seen a production on stage, so I'm by no means an expert critic for this play. Also, while I have an academic respect for Bertolt Brecht, I am not a big fan, and this production is a new, very modern (I don't like modern!), adaptation and translation by Wallace Shawn (who I love, generally), so I was prepared going into this show for it not to be a perfect fit for me.
I attended the invited dress rehearsal, and I heard in the lobby that they'd only gotten all of the way through the show once, that afternoon. I was expecting some badness, but actually, it went pretty well. The show is too long, which I'm sure will improve in the next week or so. I wish they would shorten it by cutting the beginning, but I'm sure they won't. When you enter, the stage is bare save for two rolling costume racks, and there are stage lights on the stage. Then the ensemble enters, and puts on costume pieces and use eyeliner to put a vertical line over each other's eye (just one eye, but not all the same one), and then they stare at us for a bit. All very Brechtian, and also very boring to watch. I never did figure out the significance of the eye-strip, but it must have been something, because we had to watch them all rub them off at the end of the play too. The movement (especially actors entering and exiting) was all very exaggerated too which I'm sure was another Brechtian device, and one that annoyed me, it took too long.
Costumes: Issac Mizrahi. I don't like him in general, and in this play, I don't like him at all. Everyone looked like they were in a Goth/punk sex club (not that I would know from experience...) which I shouldn't blame entirely on him because maybe that's the direction he was given, but I don't like him, so I will blame it all on him.
Set: Derek McLane. I actually liked the set a lot. They had huge neon lights that came down to announce the setting for every scene. It was fitting, and looked good.
Okay, skip to the important part, the actors. I love Alan Cumming, we all know this. He was at times creepy, and at times charming, he was always committed to his character and what was going on, and I would NEVER have cast him in this part (McHeath). I thought it was a very bad choice all around. McHeath should be very manly and devilishly handsome, and Alan isn't either. Please don't tell Alan I said that.
Jim Dale (Mr. Peachum), on the other hand, was everything he should be and more. I was excited to see him because I've never seen him perform live before, but I told myself not to get too excited because it was a weird play, and he's not as young as he used to be, but I needn't have worried for a moment. He was perfect, he was funny, he sounded great, and his dancing; absolutely delightful. This show is worth seeing for him alone. In fact, I wish I could see it again, just for him. I LOVE JIM DALE! I was also exited to see Christopher Innvar (Tiger Brown) live for the first time, but while he was enjoyable, I wished his part was a little meatier, and I didn't get to hear him sing enough.
There were two performers I knew nothing about going in, and who were, I thought delightfully good. Nellie McKaye played Polly. In many ways, I'd say this is the hardest part. She's the naive ingenue, but she's not completely innocent (she knowingly marries a murderer and thief for one thing). Also, everyone else's language in this adaptation is completely modern, but hers remains very stylized and somewhat stilted, and I thought Nellie did a great job with it. I felt like she played two different levels simultaneously most of the time, remaining true to her character, but also being very funny and sardonic in a way. I also really enjoyed her voice. The girl sitting behind me completely disagreed with me on every point, so you'll have to decide for yourself. The second unexpected treat was Brain Charles Rooney (Lucy Brown). I'd heard they were going to make Lucy (Polly's rival for McHeath's affection) a guy in drag, and I wasn't that excited about it, but Rooney was so great, I couldn't begrudge the fact that he was a guy in a (very short) dress. His singing voice was so feminine, I thought one of the ensemble girls must be singing for him backstage (his speaking voice was decidedly masculine throughout), but not so. Not only was his voice beautiful, but his acting was wonderful too; he was completely committed to his character, a young girl in love. I felt real empathy for him/her. One of my favorite scenes was called "The Jealousy Duet" between Polly and Lucy. They were both really great in it. My other favorite scene was Jim Dale's solo in the second act, I can't remember the name of it, but you'll know it when you see it. Priceless.
Overall, very interesting show, if not my favorite. I'm glad I saw it, and would even see it again (but hopefully it'd be at least 30 minutes shorter next time). My last criticism is the poster. Hate it! I rarely like posters with photographs of the stars anyway, but this photo, puh-lease. Alan looks like a gay magician! I cannot stand it, and there are so many things they could have done with a Threepenny poster, it's really a shame they couldn't use a drop of creativity. Oh well, Roundabout never listened to me when I worked for them, they're certainly not going to start now that I don't and still don't give them any money for seeing their shows.

Jim Dale, Alan Cumming, Scott Elliot (director)

*A special thanks to Krystin for making it possible to see this unforgettable show!

4 Comments:

Blogger voyageuse said...

What about Cyndi Lauper? Isn't she in the show too?

Have you seen Alan's commercial for his fragrance? I'm sure you have. Isn't it hilarious.

8:32 PM  
Blogger voyageuse said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Catherine Elizabeth said...

Cyndi was surprisingly good, and the SNL girls was good too. All the performers were really top notch, but they couldn't all be my favorites.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alan Cumming was in my dream the other night, which is probably the weirdest celebrity appearance in my sleep to date. I think I have your combination of dream/theatre reviews posts and the fact that I'm reading "Emma" for my Romantics class to blame. As nice as I'm sure he is, I hope he doesn't make a reappearance.

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home