My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I moved to NYC to become a famous actress, and now I'm working the library. Life's funny that way. I like to bake, and I often stick my foot in my mouth, but I try not to do it at the same time.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Little Black Dress


I wore all black, or basic black, to church today (a black velvet skirt and a black sweater, in case you were wondering), and while I was brushing my teeth, I had a brilliant idea. I was ruminating on the fact that I do not have a "little black dress," and that it would be hard to find one that was modest, stylish, and well fitting. And that's when it hit me; there should be a store that sells nothing but black dresses in all different styles and sizes. It might be a little overwhelming when you first walk in, but just think how marvelous it would be if you could go to one store, and know you could walk out with such an essential wardrobe staple. I think I would organize the store by dress length, and then by style, then size. Some people, of course would just browse, but many people would be able to narrow themselves down to a specific area pretty easily, and then go to town trying dresses on. I think the hardest job would fall to the buyer who would have to go to a lot of different sources to get a good selection of black dresses, but I really think it could work, and be very successful. Now that I've had such a fantastic idea, I just need a business partner with a lot of capitol. Any takers?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catherine:
1--were you seriously brushing your teeth while wearing all black? I have not doubt that I am the clutziest person earth, but I cannot trust myself to brush when wearing something I want to leave the house in.
2--I would categorize first by size. If I am looking for a long 10 (I wish!) and find a perfect long dress in 16 and 4, what good will that do me?
3--Look at this site for a mircro-lender that speciallizes in women's businesses: http://www.count-me-in.org/

4--Look at this post for info on how to start a business (also, I think the writer of this post lives in queens, so maybe she can advise you): http://talesfromthecrib.blogspot.com/2006/01/empowering-moms-through-small-business.html

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily, you're so informative! Where do you get all this information?

Catherine, I think this is a great idea (as someone who has never owned the perfect black dress and wouldn't know where to start looking). And I'm glad to see you finally got your Penny Vincenzi book!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home