My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I moved to NYC to become a famous actress, and now I'm working the library. Life's funny that way. I like to bake, and I often stick my foot in my mouth, but I try not to do it at the same time.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Word of the day

ambivalence
Main Entry: am·biv·a·lence
Pronunciation: am-'bi-v&-l&n(t)s
Function: noun
Etymology: International Scientific
Vocabulary 1 : simultaneous and contradictory attitudes or feelings (as
attraction and repulsion) toward an object, person, or action 2 a : continual
fluctuation (as between one thing and its opposite) b : uncertainty as to which
approach to follow- am·biv·a·lent /-l&nt/
adjective- am·biv·a·lent·ly adverb


I looked up this word today and realized that I've completely misunderstood it's meaning. I thought it was synonymous with indifference. Boy was I wrong. Now that I really know what it means, I'll have to try to use it correctly a few times, in hopes that it will stick.

PS. Yes I did take Latin in high school, so I really have no excuse for not recognizing the ambi- root. What can I say? I just don't pay attention sometimes. Well, a lot of the time.

1 Comments:

Blogger voyageuse said...

We talked about this word the other day in a class of mine, and how Everyone uses it incorrectly. So don't feel bad, you probably learned the word from people who were using it wrongly. I thought the same as you until the other week.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home