My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I moved to NYC to become a famous actress, and now I'm working the library. Life's funny that way. I like to bake, and I often stick my foot in my mouth, but I try not to do it at the same time.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Meet my new friend...

...Megan Whalen Turner. While talking to my mom a while ago, she said she saw my father reading a YA book, which isn't the norm, so she figured there had to be something special about the book, and read it as soon as he was finished. The book was The Thief (Newbery Honor book-1996. Why is it I so often like Newbery Honor books better than Newbery Medal books?). She sent me a copy of it, as well as the sequel The Queen of Attolia. Since I'm telling you about it, I obviously liked these books (a lot), and will soon read the third book, The King of Attolia. You should read them all as soon as you're able, they're very enjoyable. But if it's possible, I'm even more taken with Megan than I am with her books. At the back of the latest paperback edition of The Thief, there's a message from Megan about the books she likes to read. I wish I had the book in front of me so I could give you a direct quote (I already lent it to someone else to read), but basically she talked about her love of reading, and
the books that most influenced her growing up, and she includes a list of books she recommends. Not only did I like her because we have the same taste in books, but I really liked the way she talked about reading and how it affects us. She seemed really nice; someone I'd like to meet. Hopefully you'll read this reissue copy of The Thief too, so you can read her much more eloquent words, rather than my stilted version.

Just read them, you'll be glad you did.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catherine, I won't be specific because you haven't finished the trilogy, but I do have a major bone to pick with your friend, Megan.

7:23 PM  
Blogger voyageuse said...

I am so excited to read these! It's been a while since I've read some really good juvenile literature... out of lack of time, not lack of material. Honestly, I think the best thing about the semester ending soon is that I'll have time to read books I want to read! I've been in the middle of The History of Love forever-- which I'm so glad you're reading by the way! Let me know how you like it.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home