My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I moved to NYC to become a famous actress, and now I'm working the library. Life's funny that way. I like to bake, and I often stick my foot in my mouth, but I try not to do it at the same time.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Mismatch


A couple of years ago I bought a new pair of black cable-knit gloves. They were a little more expensive than I should have bought, but they were very soft, and they were long which I love. The next week, I dropped one onto the subway tracks. I bought a much cheaper replacement pair of black gloves - not as soft, and not as long, but I did like the colored thread around the wrist. Those lasted three weeks before I dropped one who knows where. The happy part of this story is that I had dropped the right glove of the first pair, and the left glove of the second pair. I wore the mismatched pair, for the time being, thinking I would replace the gloves at the end of the season when everything was on sale.
Now it's two winters later and I'm still wearing them. Last year I decided to wear them until I, inevitably (I thought), lost one of them, and then I would buy a real pair. Now I think I will never lose them. They are destined to stay with me forever precisely because I would actually like to lose them. It's not such a big deal. Do you know, in two years (half way through my third winter wearing them) not a single person has noticed that my gloves don't match? I do sometimes worry that some stranger on the subway has noticed, and is silently judging me for my mismatched gloves. I know I would.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no excuse for mis-matched gloves. I am shocked, and I'm pretty sure somebody must have noticed them. Repent, fashion sinner.

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that someone has noticed but I am sure it has endeared you to them. In fact, if you could speak Spanish you would know that your nickname around the neighborhood is mismatched glove girl.

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home