My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I moved to NYC to become a famous actress, and now I'm working the library. Life's funny that way. I like to bake, and I often stick my foot in my mouth, but I try not to do it at the same time.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Bleak House report


Last night was the extremely exciting conclusion of Bleak House. It has been great fun to look forward to it each Sunday night, so I'm sorry it's over, but nothing lasts forever. And I'm glad to report to you that I feel very confident in my endorsement of it. I know many of you are waiting to watch it on DVD (in all it's 8 hours of glory), so I won't go into too much detail, but here are a few thoughts:

  • I never got used to the cinematography; in fact, I just don't think it was appropriate. I think they were trying to make everything very exciting and dramatic, but I think Dickens does a fine job of that on his own. I also think that most people who watch BBC/Masterpiece Theatre mini-series are of my, old-fashioned though it may be, frame of mind.
  • My favorite characters were Miss Flite, Charlie, Guppy, Guppy's mother (she only has two scenes, but they are memorable), and of course Esther.
  • This movie ended just the way I like them to, with a wedding (won't tell you whose).




The next Masterpiece Theatre mini-series starts March 26th. He Knew He Was Right by Anthony Trollope. Doesn't look as good as Bleak House, but then, not many things could. Don't worry, I'll still be watching!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home